14, October, 2009
For the last several decades the European Commission has been telling whoppers, fibs and lies. At the time of writing, it is still doing so. A disinformation campaign has cost Europeans millions of euros. In total the losses to the European economy must amount to billions, possibly trillions. They began in the Gaullist period. They distorted competition and robbed consumers not only of money but political powers for a fairer Europe.
The lie is equivalent to telling a child that he is a poor orphan. In reality he is the son of a rich, benevolent family. The untruth that the Commission and many of the institutions are perpetuating is about the origin of the Community. It is about the real meaning and description of European democracy. They want to tell a lie about when, where and how the European Union came from. Believe it or not!
If you don’t believe it, check the facts! Go to Commission publications and the site www.europa.eu the website of the European institutions. Under history, you will find what is supposed to be the FULL text of the Schuman Declaration. It is no such thing!
Why should politicians censor the original visionary and political description of the European project? They wished to make it appear technical. They wished to hide its democratic principles. If the Commission started publishing the FULL text it would expose the falsity of the whole so-called debate on democracy in Europe. It would expose the Orwellian efforts that spent million of taxpayers’ money trying to convince Europeans that 1957 was the Birthday of Europe and that citizens had been “Together since 1957” ! That untruth was simply a campaign to impose a Constitutional/ Reform Treaty that had already been rejected. Behind this disinformation is the sordid attempt by economic/ political forces to impose a new system that undermines the European supranational democracy. Yes, they want to weaken the agency that broke up cartels (often composed of ‘national champions’) that robbed citizens and incited conflict and wars. What better way than to write Schuman its inventor out of the picture?
Schuman announced this new supranational democracy in multiple public speeches in the period 1948 onwards. He did this at the United Nations in 1948 and 1949. He spoke about building a supranational democracy in Europe in May 1949 ONE YEAR before the the Declaration of 1950.
In other words the European Commission — led by the Council of Ministers who find it even more embarrassing — have chopped out, deleted and censored a decade from Europe’s history of democracy. They imposed a blackout on the first decade since the war as if a Common Market arose by magic and saved everyone’s bacon. Coincidently this date 1957/8 coincides with the seizure of power by anti-communautaire Mr Charles de Gaulle, now draped incongruently in the European flag rather than the tricolore!
A real democracy would impose citizens’ control on the Community budget. The Gaullists wanted the budget-slicing to be done in secret, in Council, with no-one looking over their shoulders! And so it continued to this day. We are still trying to resolve the abuses of agriculture and misspent regional funds. They threw democracy out of the windows, closed them tightly and shut the doors to the Council. They also shut out democracy.
I have never seen or heard any Commissioner discuss these matters. Yet it is the fundamental duty of all Commissioners to discuss and support European democracy. The Commission is supposed to be Guardian of the Treaties! How on earth can you get public support for a new and highly improved form of democracy if you seal your lips with sticking plaster on what it is all about? Are Commissioners sworn to silence, ignorant or in a plot against the public? What qualified them to be Commissioners if they do not know the history of the Institution?
Here’s what the European Commission does not want the public to know. This is the full translation of the headline introduction defining the purpose of Robert Schuman’s Declaration that was made nearly SIXTY years ago. These are the bullet-points delineating what Europe is all about. And before we begin on these vital, historical first words about the goal and vision of European construction, we should ask a question: What preparations are the Community institutions preparing to celebrate this 60th Anniversary, the longest period of peace in Western Europe’s bloody history? Or is it all too politically embarrassing, so soon after the fiftieth???!!!
“It is no longer a question of vain words but of a bold act, a constructive act. France has acted and the consequences of its action can be immense. We hope they will be. France has acted primarily for peace and to give peace a real chance.
For this it is necessary that Europe should exist. Five years, almost to the day, after the unconditional surrender of Germany, France is accomplishing the first decisive act for European construction and is associating Germany with this. Conditions in Europe are going to be entirely changed because of it. This transformation will facilitate other action which has been impossible until this day.
Europe will be born from this, a Europe which is solidly united and constructed around a strong framework. It will be a Europe where the standard of living will rise by grouping together production and expanding markets, thus encouraging the lowering of prices.
In this Europe, the Ruhr, the Saar and the French industrial basins will work together for common goals and their progress will be followed by observers from the United Nations. All Europeans without distinction, whether from east or west, and all the overseas territories, especially Africa, which awaits development and prosperity from this old continent, will gain benefits from their labour of peace.”
Note what the public has not been told:
1. Schuman makes clear that this proposal is the REAL start of major changes in Europe and consequently all the world. In a speech a year earlier — perhaps the greatest European speech of this epoch — Schuman addressed the problems of the Continent and warned that if a supranational democracy was not introduced, the consequences were dire. With a rising, divided and undemocratic Germany, with the Soviets exacerbating every irritating problem around the world, Europe would not only be endangered by another world war with atomic weapons but there was a risk of WORLD SUICIDE.
2 This initiative will have IMMENSE consequences.
3. It will provide the ONLY real solution so far proposed for world peace.
4. An entity called EUROPE must exist for this world plan to succeed.
5. Five years previously Europe lay in blood, ruins and scattered with dead and dying. In only five years, Schuman and the French government were making the FIRST DECISIVE ACT in constructing Europe.
6. The European Community will transform the entirety of world politics. It will ‘facilitate other action which has been impossible until this day.’
7. The first Community marks the BIRTHDAY of Europe. This is exactly what the Six leaders who signed the founding treaty on 18 April 1951 declared in the Europe Declaration. As far as I know this has never been published on the Commission’s website. In the Gaullist and post-Gaullist period I have never seen it in any publication of the institutions. Yet it the foundational document of the New Europe. The publication of Schuman’s visionary words and the Europe Declaration would make complete nonsense of the attempt by unscrupulous politicians to try to make the signing of the Common Market treaty the birth of Europe. Absolute irresponsibility worthy of the propaganda systems of Joe Stalin and Herr Hitler! They rewrote history and changed facts to support their totalitarian regimes. They repeated lies until they made it difficult or dangerous for any citizen to resist and oppose them with truth.
8. The European Community will have a solid foundation. In terms of personnel it is small. In terms of budget (even with the inflated, political operations) it uses only one per cent of the GDP of 27 Community Member States. The USA’s federal budget uses multiple times that amount. The Community has had the strength and flexibility to withstand attack, opposition and abuse of selfish, nationalistic leaders and self-serving politicians. It provides a model for many other aspiring Communities of States in the world that are empty shadows in comparison. Nowadays they mistakenly think that something like the European Union is the solution (without a Community legal and democratic system)!
9. Schuman’s forecast that Europe would both be prosperous and would also see falling prices for goods is remarkable. Economically these two matters rarely coincide. His declaration contrasts starkly with contemporary prognosticators who in 1950 saw Europe as a continuing zone of war, poverty and and more conflict.
10. Europeans behind the Iron Curtain would not only benefit from the European Community but they had a right and an open invitation to join it. Schuman made this clear at the press conference. It was, he said, open to Russia. Membership would have totally turned the communist system upside down because it imposed gradual democratic change. (The Soviets immediately attacked the Community as a Cartel. That was pretty stupid. The European Community was the world’s first international anti-cartel agency. The philosophy behind supranational democracy leaves Marxist dialectical materialism wallowing in the gutter.) The Community was a beacon of light to all the countries of central and eastern Europe. It had superior moral fibre and wore away the Iron Curtain itself. Schuman predicted this would happen.
11. The Community system — if properly understood — would bring peace and prosperity to Africa and other continents where European powers once had colonies. Instead Africa entered a period of war, terror and corruption, some of it due to corrupt or timorous European politics. This was worsened further by the successive energy crises that Europeans refused to tackle.
12. The mission statement of the European Community — is to make peace at home and to create the work of peace abroad, based on the realistic and true principles that Schuman announced: democracy, human rights, the rule of law, open debate without threats of violence and the freedom of conscience. This is far from how democracy is presented by politicians — who all too often favour a system that benefits political parties and not the people.David Heilbron Price
, 1950, Birthday, business, cartel, Charles, Commission, Common, Council, de Gaulle, Declaration, democracy, disinformation, fib, Guardian, Hitler, lie, Lisbon, Market, opinion, Orwell, Paris, party, Political, propaganda, Reform, Robert, Rome, Schuman, Stalin, treaty, truth, untruth, war